Monday, September 26, 2011

Remaining Confident Under Threat of Ruination- Lewis and Psalm 27

Lewis writes the below from "On living an an Atomic Age" Present Concerns:

"If we are all going to be destroyed by an atomic bomb, let that bomb when it comes find us doing sensible things--praying, working, teaching, reading, listening to music, bathing the children, playing tennis, chatting to our friends over a pint and a game of darts--not huddled together like frightened sheep and thinking about bombs.  They may break our bodies (any microbe can do that) but they need not dominate our minds."

Comments:  There are many trials that we might call "life stoppers."  They can lead to depression and immobility.  I speak of things like an un unexpected illness, the loss of a job, the end of a relationship, rejection and misunderstanding by others, the killing of a dream, death of a loved one, things like that.  Lewis makes a good point here, taken from Psalm 27 (quoted below):  regardless of what happens to us we must prove through Christ to be overcomers and press on with life.  Regardless of the cost, we must follow Him and do His bidding, walking among men and women as He Himself walked.  Of course, in doing this you will pay a price--a price many are no longer willing to pay in our age.

Remember, the Holy Spirit is a comforter.  If you need no comfort you may not need Him.  Likewise the fruit of the Spirit (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness and self-control) is going to be most evidenced at times when the very opposite of such fruit is more likely to reveal itself in the natural.  The supernatural life is not needed by those who have it all together.  Nay, the Holy Spirit is for those facing trial and ruin in the hardships of life, whatever these may be.

Psalm 27:

The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?

When evildoers assail me to devour my flesh--my adversaries and foes--they shall stumble and fall.
Though an army encamp against me, my heart shall not fear; though war rise up against me,
yet I will be confident.

One thing I asked of the Lord; that will I seek after; to live in the house all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord, and to inquire in his temple.

For He will hide me in the His shelter in the day of trouble; he will conceal me under the cover of His tent:
He will set me high on a rock.

Now my head is lifted up above my enemies all around me,
and I will offer in his tent sacrifices with shouts of joy;
I will sing and make melody to the Lord.

Hear, O Lord, when I cry aloud, be gracious to me and answer  me!
"Come," my hearts says, "seek His face!"
Your face, Lord, do I seek.  Do not hide Your face from me.

Do not turn Your servant away in anger, You who have been my help.
Do not cast me off, do not forsake me, O God of my salvation!
If my father and mother forsake me, the Lord will take me up.

Teach me Your way, O Lord, and lead me on a level path.

No comments:

Post a Comment