Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Dozens of Views About Everything . . . Go Play in the Rain

This double entry comes from perhaps my favorite fiction book of all time:  That Hideous Strength by C.S. Lewis.

Excerpt 1

Mark says:  "I suppose there are two views about everything."
Hingest replies:  "Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer.  Then there's never more than one."

Comment:  People are full of opinions and advice and your head may be rattling and your brain scrambled if you do not come to convictions that you can stand on--on your own.   Of course, just because you have an opinion/conviction does not mean you are right.  However, God's truth is absolute truth and if we can get an accurate hold of His truth we have to stand on it even it means others disagree or we die for it.  The thing we must not do is compromise known truth.  Sometimes I get advice from well meaning Christians about behaving in ways that seem totally contrary to a Christian ethic (Sermon on Mount for instance).  I reject their advice and decide I am gonna stand on what I believe God has said come hell or high water.  I encourage you to do the same.  The trick is not to be arrogant and to be humble enough to correct your version of the truth when you come to the realization that God's truth means something else entirely.

Excerpt 2

"That's why Camilla and I got married," said Denniston as they drove off.  "We both like Weather.  Not this or that kind of weather, just Weather.
"How ever did you learn to do that, Mr. Denniston?" said Jane.  "I don't think I should ever learn to like rain and snow."
"It's the other way round," said Denniston. "Everyone begins as a child by liking Weather.  You learn the art of disliking it as you grow up.  Haven't you ever noticed it on a snowy day? The grown-ups are all going about with long faces, but look at the children--and the dogs.  They know what snow's made for."
"I'm sure I hated wet days as a child," said Jane.
"That's because the grown-ups kept you in," said Camilla.  "Any child loves rain if it's allowed to go out and paddle about in it."

Comment:  It has been raining cats and dogs here in Virginia for the last day.  I remember playing in the rain to soaking as a kid and at times I long to get out there and do it just the same.  Become a child again; go play in the rain and lift your hands to the sky in jubilation like Andy Dufresne in the Shawshank Redemption?  And if you are a parent encourage your kids to play in the rain.  Or if you want to apply a metaphor to the whole bit-- when life is raining hard on you get out and give thanks and praise to the Lord for watering your life for the good things He has ahead of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment